Contestant Application & Requirements
Mr Midwest Leather Contest Application
Just scroll down to fill out the electronic form. Fill in all the necessary information, then hit the submit button below it. The application will be sent directly to us.
If you don't want to fill it out electronically, go to this page to download a PDF file of the application. You can download it, print it out and use a real pen or pencil (#2 would be best) to fill it out and mail it to us.
This is the only information the judges will be given. If you have additional information for the judges, bring five copies to the contest interview on Saturday.
All contestants must provide a legal government issued I.D. proving they are over the age of 21 and legally male. There is no entry fee to be a contestant in the Mr Midwest Leather Contest. Any questions please contact the producers through the contact link on this website.
At the contest you will be required to sign a paper stating all the information submitted is true, as well as a photo release allowing the Midwest Leather Weekend to use photos of you in advertising, on the website and in news stories. You will also receive a printed list of requirements for the title of Mr Midwest Leather.
Mr Midwest Leather Requirements
The Mr Midwest Leather title represents 13 Midwestern States. Contestant should be a resident of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, or Kentucky.
Being a title holder means meeting a wide variety of people in the community and opening new doors to a lifetime experience.
1. The title holder will be expected to travel to at least four states (other than his own home state) to do the following: Fundraising events for title holder’s charity or to help fellow title holders at their events, or being a judge at other Leather events. If there are any questions about what qualifies for an appropriate event, contact your Producers.
2. Do 3 fundraisers for the benefit of Mr Midwest Leather Contest in his own state or any of the other 13 states. In addition, raise money throughout the year for his Travel Fund.
3. Attend the following events as the current Mr Midwest Leather:
- Cleveland Leather Awareness Weekend (CLAW), Cleveland, Ohio
- MidAtlantic Leather Weekend (MAL), Washington, DC
- International Mr Leather (IML), Chicago, IL
Note: During the title year, the title holder’s travel fund will help pay for expenses.
4. Maintain open communication with Producers of the Mr Midwest Leather Contest.
5. While representing the Mr Midwest Leather title there should be no nude photos or lewd behavior while wearing the title vest, sash or medallion, using the Mr Midwest Leather logo or name or appearing as Mr Midwest Leather. On your own time, do as you please, but while representing the title, please be responsible.
6. The experience and memories of representing the Mr Midwest Leather title and competing in IML are priceless. Enjoy.
The Contest Specifics
The contest is made up of four categories:
First Category - Judges Interview. 40% of score
The Interview will be held Saturday afternoon and is closed to the public. Contestants will be asked questions by the judges. Questions will cover information from the applications, knowlege of Leather History, current affairs and other topics.
The next three categories take place Saturday evening at JJ's Clubhouse in front of the audience.
Second Category - Bar Wear, 10% of score
Contestants wear what they believe is their hottest outfit; what they would wear to be picked up or pick someone up at a bar. This is also where the contestants will be introduced to the audience.
Third Category - Pecs and Personality, 20% of score (street-legal attire required)
This is not a body building or beauty contest. Contestants will be judged on how well they answer a question posed by the judges while wearing minimal wear. This shows how comfortable they are in their own skin on stage - and think - wearing very little.
Fourth Category - Full Leather/Speech
Contestants will wear full leather and will present a prepared 90 second speech on whatever subject is important to them.
Mr Midwest Leather Prizes
1st Prize: Mr Midwest Leather Title, $500 in cash ($250 given night of the contest, $250 given at International Mr Leather Contest.) Title vest, sash, medallion, hotel room for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at IML. (Total value of first prize: $1600) Additional night’s stay will be paid by the Title Holder. Adoration of the crowds and fans following you around the Midwest. Note: Title holder must attend IML or forfeit the entire $500
1st Runner Up & 2nd Runner Up: $100 cash night of the contest, medallion, fame and adoring fans.
All contestants: Opportunity to participate in a nationally recognized Leather contest, meet the movers and shakers in the Leather Community, make new friends and learn to present yourself in front of cheering crowds.